There’s so much in life to smile about, but when you have one or more missing teeth, it’s easy to lose the confidence to smile back. There are a number of cosmetic dentistry options that can help you achieve a complete, healthy smile. Dental implants are one of the most recommended solutions for missing teeth. The procedure offers a permanent solution that requires no more effort for care than your natural teeth. While dental implant cost is a greater investment than other teeth replacement options, it comes with a number of benefits not offered by the other solutions.
What Are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a permanent solution to one or more missing teeth. The procedure calls for a titanium post to be surgically embedded into your jawbone. The post acts as a tooth root and holds the replacement crown securely in place. Dental implants are a good restorative and cosmetic dentistry option because they do not come loose like a denture can.
- The first step of a dental implant procedure is for the implant to be placed in the upper or lower jawbone. In most cases, this treatment will require three to six months of healing time.
- The second step is for the implant abutment to be attached to the titanium post with a single screw. This is the portion of the implant that holds the crown in place.
- The third and final step of the dental implant procedure is for the crown to be placed on the abutment. The crown is cemented or screwed to the abutment for a completely natural look.
Dental implants can be provided for a single missing tooth or to restore a complete row or full mouth of teeth, but there are certain oral health requirements to have the treatment completed.
Requirements For Dental Implants
While single or full mouth dental implants are frequently the best option for tooth replacement, you must speak with your oral surgeon to see if you are a strong candidate. Before you begin thinking recovery or dental implant cost, your general dentist will need to establish that you have adequate gum and bone health to support the implant. When the jaw bone is too thin and weak, a bone graft may be necessary before the implant can be embedded.
In addition, if the upper jaw bone lacks the height to support an implant or the sinuses are too close to the jaw, a sinus lift may be required to complete the treatment.
Single-tooth Dental Implant
A single-tooth implant is ideal for anyone missing one or two teeth. Whether from an accident or dental care complications, a missing tooth can affect your willingness to share a smile, eat certain foods or speak confidentially. If the implant procedure is launched shortly after the tooth is lost, it’s likely the jaw bone will be strong enough for the procedure. The jaw bone begins to deteriorate over time in areas where the tooth root is missing.
Full-mouth Dental Implant
For those who need multiple teeth replaced, a full-mouth dental implant procedure may be ideal. When the complete upper or lower row of teeth is to be replaced, tooth extraction will be needed for the remaining teeth. Once all teeth are removed, your oral surgeon can begin the implant procedure. Five or six titanium posts are implanted into the upper or lower gum. Once the posts and jawbone have time to join successfully, the full row of teeth can be inserted and attached to the posts.
Hybridge Dental Implant solutions are an advanced teeth replacement procedure offered by Dr. Phillip DeJesus. The treatment can restore a complete smile in as little as 16 weeks. The process meshes the idea of dental implants and a full denture to create a permanent solution to destroyed or missing teeth. Custom full-arch Hybridge restorations are created in a special laboratory to custom-fit each patient. When professionally inserted, the Hybridge restorations give a healthy, natural appearance.
Dental Implant Cost
Insurance plans do not typically cover dental implant cost. As with many cosmetic surgery treatments, the investment will be absorbed by the patient. However, your Bridgeport / Trumbull Line dentist may offer a dental implant discount for certain treatments. The cost for a single dental implant can vary depending on the treatment that needs to be completed prior to the implant procedure. Dental implant cost ranges from $1,500 to $3,500, leaning toward the higher end if a bone graft or sinus lift is needed.
While the investment of dental implants is a considered purchase, there are several benefits that you’ll enjoy with this solution not found with other tooth replacement options.
Benefits Of Dental Implants
Dental implant treatment is designed to last a lifetime with proper care. Unlike a denture, bridge or crown, implants have distinct benefits.
- Natural appearance: Single or full-mouth dental implants are designed to look and feel like your own teeth.
- Permanent solution: You don’t have to take dental implants out for cleaning or care. The implants merge with your bone, becoming a permanent tooth replacement.
- Improved speech: A denture can slip if not held securely in your mouth with the proper adhesive. Because implants are permanent, you can feel confident in speaking without your teeth moving.
- Increased comfort: Dental implants merge with your bone, eliminating discomfort of removable solutions.
- Easier eating: The stability of dental implants leaves you with confidence to eat foods you may have been avoiding.
- Stronger oral health: Implants do not require other teeth to be filed as is sometimes the case with a dental bridge. Dental implants are better for long-term oral health and hygiene.
- Durability: Designed to last for decades, dental implants can handle food and oral care just as natural teeth.
- Convenience: Brush, floss, and schedule routine dental cleanings to care for your dental implants. There’s no solution, removing, or having to replace after years of use.
Dental implants give you the confidence to smile back, speak with poise, and eat the foods you love. When you’re ready to explore the possibility of dental implant solutions in Bridgeport / Trumbull Line and Shelton, contact us to schedule your appointment online.