Learn The Real Story About Fluoride And HealthFake news is a hot topic these days. Sometimes, it’s genuinely hard to separate the truth from the myth and misunderstandings. What you need to do is focus on research, facts, and experts.When it comes to dentistry, that means calling us today at our Bridgeport/Trumbull dental office (203-372-1220) or our Shelton dental office (203-378-9737). Our dentists have the advanced training needed to know that fluoride really is both safe and good for your teeth. That’s why you can get fluoride treatments at either dental office.
Don’t Believe The Fake News About FluorideIf you search online, you’ll probably find plenty of websites and memes from people claiming that fluoride is bad for you. To be honest, this fake news is nothing new. As soon as communities started adding fluoride to tap water, a few people decided this was bad and fought against it despite having no evidence.But there does seem to be a resurgence of late. Why? Usually, fluoride fake news is promoted for two reasons.
- People don’t understand fluoride. They mean well, and they’re really just trying to be safe and helpful. But they do not know the research or have training in using fluoride safely.
- A few want to sell you something. Some of those websites ask you to buy a copy of their ebook that promises to blow the lid off some vague conspiracy. Buyer beware.
How Fluoride Helps Your SmileThen what does fluoride do that’s so good for teeth? Why does the American Dental Association support fluoride in dental treatments, toothpaste, and tap water? Because fluoride makes your teeth stronger.
- Research and experiments have shown repeatedly that fluoride makes your enamel stronger and more resistant to tooth decay and damage.
- Similar research has discovered that fluoride actually repairs tiny amount of damage done to enamel.
- Children can benefit from fluoride as well since it can strengthen the adult teeth even as they are still coming in.