At the cosmetic and restorative dentistry practice of Dr. Phillip J. DeJesus in Bridgeport, bad breath treatment has helped many patients regain control of their lives and boost their self-confidence and self-esteem. Many patients are surprised to learn that Dr. DeJesus can help them with their chronic bad breath, clinically known as halitosis, believing that the condition is something that they simply have to live with, masking it as best they can with gum and mouthwash. However, in most cases, bad breath is an oral health issue that can generally be addressed by a skilled, experienced dentist such as Dr. DeJesus.
Of course, the first step toward treating bad breath is diagnosing the underlying cause of the condition. For most patients, there is no single cause, but several contributing causes. During a comprehensive consultation and examination of your mouth, Dr. DeJesus can arrive at the likely factors contributing to your bad breath and recommend a treatment plan specifically suited to your unique case. It all begins with a visit to DeJesus Dental Group.
Don’t hesitate. You don’t have to live with the self-consciousness of having bad breath any longer. Come see us at DeJesus Dental Group today.
Why do some people have bad breath?
It is true that some people are just unlucky; they are genetically predisposed to chronic halitosis, or they have a disease or disorder that produces bad breath as a symptom. In most cases, however, poor oral hygiene can be identified as a major, if not the primary, cause. Many patients do not even realize that their oral hygiene regimens are inadequate, which is actually good news. Once they learn how to care for their mouths properly, most of these patients find that their breath improves dramatically.
Other possible causes of bad breath include:
- Gum disease
- Tooth decay
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Liver disease
- Certain medications
- Improperly cleaned dentures
- Dry mouth
- Poor diet
- Metal braces
- Lactose intolerance
Treatments for Chronic Bad Breath
The proper course of treatment for bad breath depends on the underlying cause or causes of the condition. Based on your consultation and the results of your oral examination, Dr. DeJesus will recommend a treatment plan that may include:
- Lifestyle changes: For example, if you suffer from dry mouth or dehydration, Dr. DeJesus will recommend that you drink more water and other fluids and give you strategies to help you do so. If you smoke, he will certainly advise you to quit. Changes in your diet may also be recommended
- Changes to your oral health regimen: Dr. DeJesus will give you tips on how to brush and floss properly. If you do not visit the dentist at least twice a year as advised by the American Dental Association, you will be strongly advised to do so.
- Necessary dental work: If you have gum disease, tooth decay, root canal infection, or any other oral health issues that are contributing to your bad breath, Dr. DeJesus will include the necessary treatments as part of your plan.
Learn More about Bad Breath Treatment
To learn more about bad breath treatment, please [contact_us_url text=”contact DeJesus Dental Group today”].