If the fear of metal braces and wires has caused you to live with an imperfect smile, it’s time for a change with Invisalign. These clear aligners can straighten crooked, crowded, uneven, or gapped teeth through a series of personalized trays that shift your teeth over time to their correct position. Unlike cumbersome traditional braces, one of the Invisalign benefits is you can remove the aligners to eat and care for your teeth. As you consider the option to straighten your teeth with Invisalign, here are some of the dos and don’ts of Invisalign.
Do This With Invisalign
Metal braces and wires limit what you can eat and how you clean your teeth, but the Invisalign benefits allow you to continue the majority of your normal life – while straightening your teeth! If you’ve been questioning what you can eat with Invisalign or how to care for the aligners, here are the answers.
• DO Eat with Invisalign: You don’t have to limit your diet with Invisalign. The foods that are off limits with traditional braces – popcorn, chewy candies, crunchy snacks, hard candy, or caramel – just call for you to remove the aligners to enjoy. For the best results with Invisalign, brush after your meal and secure your aligners quickly after you’re done eating.
• DO Smile with Invisalign: Braces can often cause people to hide their smile or cover their mouth when they speak, but because Invisalign is a thin, clear plastic material, people likely won’t even realize you’re wearing braces.
• DO Brush with Invisalign: Remove your Invisalign trays when it’s time to brush and floss. As always, brush after meals – aim for three times each day – and floss once a day. When you remove your aligners, it’s best to clean them as well. You can use a soft-bristle brush to clean the trays or soak them in a denture cleaner.
Don’t Do This With Invisalign
To get the best results from your Invisalign, there are a few habits to avoid.
• DON’T Chew gum with Invisalign: If you want to enjoy a piece of gum, take out your aligners. The gum can stick to your aligners and damage the trays.
• DON’T Drink anything but water with Invisalign: If you like a morning cup of coffee (or three) don’t sip your brew with the aligners. In fact, you should skip on every beverage but water. Drinking coffee, tea, or fruit juices will cause the liquid to become trapped in the trays, resulting in stained teeth or tooth decay.
• DON’T Skip a day with your Invisalign: It’s usually necessary to wear your Invisalign for 22 hours each day. Skipping a day or night of wearing your trays could eventually result in increasing your overall treatment time with the aligners.
If you have more questions about Invisalign braces or how they work, the DeJesus Dental Group in Bridgeport and Shelton can answer your questions and help you determine if Invisalign is the best solution to better your smile. Follow these guidelines while you wear Invisalign to ensure you get the best results from your treatment.